Saturday, February 22, 2020

Mardi Gras Beads and Purses

Katherine Watson here and ready to celebrate Mardi Gras! This weekend's preview is in Langley, on Whidbey Island. It's the annual Langley Mystery Weekend. This is the 36th year of mysteries! And this year's mystery occurred during the rehearsal for the mardi gras parade! I'll be there to put my sleuthing skills to the test, and I'm certain I'll follow the clues and solve the mystery. I've already figured out which purse to carry that will best set off my mask and beads, while being very practical. It's a beaded, vintage white and floral, Lumured purse. This one is from the 1940's. Just look at this amazing beading! The company started making these purses in the 1940's, but really amped up production in the 1950's, and some in the 1960's. The amazing beading will set off my mardi gras beads.

Katherine, let me, Moonjava enlighten with a little history. Mardi Gras actually started its story in medieval Europe.  And the practice of throwing beads was inspired by Renaissance festivals that took place before Lent, where revelers would toss things into the air to celebrate before the coming fast. In New Orleans, it started groovin' 300 years ago. Throwing favors out to celebrate started in the 1840's, and it was in the 1880's that glass beads got their start. As a proud flower child, I'm happy to report that the tradition of women flashing their breasts for beads began right after the hippie sixties - one of my favorite times in history.

The traditional colors of the beads are purple, green, and gold, which represent justice, faith, and power. Originally party goers would toss the beads to people who showed the colors' qualities. So ladies, know that you don't have to show anything more than your character to receive beads.

I'll keep that in mind MJ, in the meantime just look at the intricate, detailed beading on this purse. And although it looks like a straightforward pouch style, it's actually a two sided bag. That will give me plenty of room for all I normally carry on one side, and on the other side the clues I pick up along the way. The beaded handles are strong, yet flexible and very comfortable to carry either in the palm of my hand or on my arm.

The beading on the interior panel is very tight and strong, on a metal frame.

The beads actually shine a little in the right light, and the gold colored beads form the shape of small flowers are woven into the white.

Yes Katherine, the gold beaded flowers show your power in solving mysteries! And my meditation for Mardi Gras is - Let your heart speak to other's hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment