Friday, June 19, 2020

An Author's Dad




I hit the jackpot when I won John Kendall as my dad. 


Such a compassionate man. He taught me so much and inspired the constant drive to follow my dreams, and to dream big and with passion. He started my lifelong joy in stories, reading and writing them. He was an adventurer and a dreamer himself. He lived big and loved big. He loved his family and was surrounded by love of family and friends. He was a hero. I miss him every day, and I'm so grateful that although he's gone, he'll always be my dad.

Happy Father's Day!


My dad was one of the Greatest Generation. Here he is with his dad when he joined up with the British Army. In World War II he fought the Japanese forces in what was then known as Burma. Before he went overseas he double dated with a buddy where they were both on blind dates. My dad liked the other girl, and deftly switched so that he ended up driving the other girl home. He asked her out and they dated until he went overseas. When the War was over they married. John and Pam Kendall were happily married 49 years.
















My dad was born in England. There's actually a town in the Lake District named Kendal, although he wasn't born there. His grandparents managed a pub named The Swan. His father was an entrepreneur, which meant that he tried his hand at many different livelihoods. Sometimes my dad lived in England, sometimes in Canada, and sometimes in the U.S. When he was very young he lived on a farm. He used to tell me that when he was as young as 4 years old he was told it was his chore to get up early in the morning, before sunrise, and get the cows out to the field. It was so scary for him at such a young age, the cows so big and it was all so dark. My father was very courageous from an early age. This picture of me at 4 years old on his parents farm so many years later just outside Toronto makes me realize how tough his responsibility had been.

Another favorite childhood story he told was when his mother finally took him to an optometrist because he was having such trouble in his classes at school. He said he'd never forget the amazing moment when he walked out of the optometrist office with his new glasses. He could see all the way across the street! He could see details of everything. He was so excited, the world looked beautiful. All his life he retained that delight and wonder in the world around him. He ended up in many scuffles at school over being called four eyes and kids trying to break his glasses and sometimes succeeding, but it was all worth it to him for the miracle of sight.

 My dad was my hero. I wish I could have handed to him my book, but he did not live to see me published. We spent so many hours together reading and talking about books and favorite authors. Before I could read he would read to me. My absolute favorite was The Jungle Book and also the Just So Stories. I could not get enough. Read it again! Read it again! He loved Rudyard Kipling too. Dad always supported my dream to be an author, a dream that started when I was 8 years old. I won two school awards for writing composition contests. My dad celebrated by giving me this tray with an old fashioned globe and pen holders to commemorate my middle school win. It now sits in my writing studio right behind my desk and next to a copy of Kat Out of the Bag. He was right, literacy opens worlds for your imagination. 

For my high school win, this gorgeous pen set was my surprise gift, and it sits proudly on my desk in my writing studio.
A character much like my dad is in my book, and the sequel that's coming along.

After the War my parents left England for Toronto. My dad started in the mail room and saw the beginning of the merger of Toronto Bank and Dominion Bank. Yes, today we all know them as TD Ameritrade. From the mail room, through sales, and on to a transfer to California and my dad continued his work to become President of TD California. They loved their very active life in California and were surrounded by so many wonderful friends and enjoyed their life very much, first in Los Angeles, and later in San Francisco and Northern California. He loved sports, his favorite was rugby that he enthusiastically played when he was young. He loved watching American football. He played tennis and later golf and is one of those golfers who hit a hole-in-one. Odds of that are 1 in 12,500.
Family was so important to Dad. Here we are on a visit to beloved relatives in England.







  


They were blessed with 8 grandchildren. Here they are enjoying a couple of the visits with my older son when he was at very young ages.














So grateful for you, Dad. Gone far too soon!
Missing you on Father's Day and every day!

Best wishes to all you Father's out there, and all you who are being Father to someone. It's a most important endeavor, and we love you for it!

A life well lived

No comments:

Post a Comment