Thursday, May 6, 2021

Flowering Mom With Love

 Welcome To Our Blooming Blog

Today we're gathered at Al's Café in Bayside - Katherine, Moonjava, and Pam, three generations of Mothers. 

Katherine: In this beautiful spring time we celebrate Mother's Day so often with gifts of flowers. Few people know that our Bayside K-9 officer Jason Holmes enjoys gardening very much and has studied the history of flower meanings. Of course, his dog partner Hobbs enjoys relaxing in their garden too when they're off duty.

Pam: In our mystery Kat Out of the Bag, Jason surprises you with meaningful bouquets at unexpected times.

Katherine: I didn't know flowers had different, hidden meanings. It adds an additional layer of sentiment to floral gifts.

Jason: It's fun research.

Katherine: We want to celebrate mom with flowers. Would you give us some advice on the meaning behind these gifts?

Jason: I'm happy to help. The symbolic language of flowers has been recognized for centuries through Europe and Asia. Nearly every sentiment you can imagine can be expressed with flowers. Examples of plants' meanings during the Victorian era include bluebells - kindness, peonies - bashfulness, rosemary - remembrance, and tulips - passion. The meanings and traditions associated with flowers have changed over time, and different cultures assign varying ideas but the fascination with giving a “perfumed message” remains.

Katherine: I'd like to gift to Moonjava. She's my mom, MJ and still living the 1960's Flower Child style life. So much of her life is without rules. She wants the best for everyone and shares her daily meditations with anyone who will listen. Sometimes her meditations seem to almost predict the future.

MJ: On this topic I believe the potential for everyone to bloom where they're planted. I've always loved flowers, all kinds. I think my favorites are daisies.

Jason: Daisies are a sweet symbol of hope. That seems to fit your outlook. I think I'd recommend a bouquet assortment to add to daisies, including white jasmine - sweet love and amiability because although you and Katherine are very different personalities you share a love and friendship. Also include magnolias - love of nature. And finish off the bouquet with marjoram - joy and happiness.

Katherine: I like that, for you MJ.

MJ: Super groovy! That's a double handful of peace and love. Thank You!

Katherine: Now for Gran, there's really only one thought for flowers. It's traditional.

MJ: I'll see your bouquet and double it. I know exactly what you're thinking - red roses.

Pam: Oh I just love you girls. Red roses have always been my favorite flowers. With my English garden background I enjoy so many flowering plants, but red roses are the best. My father always used to give me red roses on my birthday and that made them special.

Jason: The color of the rose plays a huge role. Red roses symbolize love, but roses come in a variety of colors, each with its own meaning.

  • White rose: purity, innocence, reverence, a new beginning, a fresh start.
  • Red rose: love, I love you
  • Deep, dark crimson rose: mourning
  • Pink rose: grace, happiness, gentleness
  • Yellow rose: jealousy, infidelity
  • Orange rose: desire and enthusiasm
  • Lavender rose: love at first sight
  • Coral rose: friendship, modesty, sympathy
Pam: I wish my mother was still with us. I think of her on Mother's Day too

Jason: That makes me think of a pretty bouquet of zinnias - thoughts of absent friends and loved ones.

Pam: Now we need a bouquet for Katherine.

Jason: Let me suggest . . . . white chrysanthemums - her search for the truth behind mystery, orange tulips - her enthusiasm and joy in the investigation, yellow tulips - the sunshine in her smile, and rhododendrons - danger

Katherine: And for all our wonderful readers, yellow azaleas for friendship, happiness and positive energy.



















And African Violets - for Mothers and Motherhood

1 comment: