Sunday, May 31, 2020

Graduating With Class

Why does my hair feel hard and stiff after having it relaxed ...
Katherine: Just like the SpaceX launch of NASA astronauts into a whole new, exciting era of space discovery, students are graduating into their own new and bright phase of life. From elementary school graduates to each graduating class through college and beyond - 
Congratulations! Well Done!

Amber: My friend Mira is graduating from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo. I can't wait to congratulate her in person. She's going to stop by the Purse-onality gift shop when she's back in town and when I get off work I'm going to take her out to celebrate.

MJ: Welcome Mira! And best wishes to you on your life adventure. What is your degree in?


Mira: Hello! I will be graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Biology and a minor in Psychology.

Katherine: That's very impressive. You've certainly worked hard to achieve all that.

Amber: How are you doing classes there during this virus?

Mira: My classes have all been transferred to an online format. I definitely prefer having in person classes.

Amber: Is there anything you like about online classes?

Mira: I do like online classes because I can do my homework and my assignments at my own pace as long as I turn the assignments in at the right time.

Amber: Staying off campus is a drag. What do you miss most?

Mira: I definitely miss the happy vibe that is present on campus. It was so great walking through campus on the way to class and seeing my friends left and right.

Amber: Who are you living with now on the stay at home? I bet you guys never thought you'd be spending all this time together. Do you all get along? What do you do to make the best of it? Maybe whatever you do could be a good suggestion for other people too.

Mira: I am living with my 5 roommates in our home here in San Luis Obispo (SLO). We do get along! To make the best of it, we have tried to do as many activities as we can outside. One example of something that we did was organizing a spirit week. Every day was a different theme. For example, we had a sports day when we played games like spikeball and cornhole.


Amber: If you could pick anyone to be stranded together with, who would it be? Of course for me it would be Michael, or maybe my friend Julie because she's pretty chill and we study together and we like to listen to music..She plays guitar.

Mira: I would pick my 5 roommates now. It has been great to spend time together at the end of our senior year. We are just trying to take in everything that we can in SLO before we have to move out. 

Amber: Friends are the best! What does all this virus do to your graduation plans? Will you get to celebrate with your family?

Mira: The in-person Cal Poly graduation was cancelled but they are finding a way to recognize students virtually. We are also having a small graduation ceremony in our backyard the weekend that our official graduation ceremony was supposed to be. Unfortunately, my family won’t be able to make it to our makeshift ceremony but we will be able to celebrate when I get back to Seattle.

MJ: Your family will be celebrating with you in spirit, for sure. And you'll be able to feel that. A backyard ceremony is a smart idea and it will be beautiful in San Luis Obispo, I've lived there for a time years ago and loved it.

Amber: As a 2020 college graduate, so exciting, What is your advice for the world?

Mira: My advice for the world would consist of not taking anything for granted and never saying no. There are many things and events that I wish I participated in although did not at the time, that is my biggest regret of my college experience.

Amber: And do you have any advice for people like me who are through with high school and trying to figure out what they want to do with their life?

Mira: My advice for those people are to not feel pressure to know exactly what you want to do with your life going into college. My idea of what I was going to do following college was very different than what I am doing now but I am extremely happy for that. 

Amber: I'm still deciding on my major. I was thinking maybe Business. I've learned a lot managing the gift shop. I thought about Library Sciences, or maybe Astronomy I like that too. Now with this virus I'm thinking maybe something in medicine so I can really help the world.

MJ: Don't forget, history is a good major.

Amber: Anyway, what was your favorite class Mira, and why? 

Mira: My favorite class was Muscles and Locomotion. This was an upper division Biology class that was about the anatomy and physiology of the musculoskeletal systems, including energetics and biomechanics of locomotion. I am extremely interested in the human body and this class was absolutely amazing.

Amber: What are you doing after you graduate? Will you come back here to Bayside?

Mira: Following graduation, I will be moving home to Seattle for the summer and applying to Doctor of Physical Therapy graduate programs. After the summer, I will be moving back to San Luis Obispo in the fall and hopefully work at the physical therapy clinic I have worked at for the past year.

Amber: What's the first thing you're gonna do when the stay at home is over?

Mira: The first thing I am going to do following the lifting of the stay at home order will definitely be go to a restaurant to enjoy a drink and a nice meal!

Amber: Oh yeah! I'm with you on that! Well, I have to finish this display and clean up the shop. These macrame purses, I can't believe people carried them. I like to travel light. I just carry a wristlet with only my essentials. My favorite one is barely big enough for my phone. What's your favorite purse to carry?

Mira: My favorite one is a black Michael Kors purse. It matches with all outfits and is just big enough so that I can carry everything that I need wherever I go!

Katherine: Great choice Mira. What a wonderful designer. I still regret that I wasn't fast enough to get in on that IPO in 2011. Terrific purse in the picture.

Amber: Big congratulations to you on your graduation! Wow! I really admire you! I hope your graduation day is super!

MJ: Congratulations from me too Mira. All the best to you now, and for your bright future. My wish for you is that wherever you go, it will be with all of your heart.

Katherine:  Congratulations to all the graduates of 2020 - may all your dreams come true, and have lots of fun in the purse-suit!


No comments:

Post a Comment