Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Katherine with a K & Kimberlee with 2 E's


MJ: Katherine (with a K), help me welcome Kimberlee (with 2 E's) Mendoza, our talented book cover artist.

Katherine: Yes, welcome Kimberlee Mendoza. We just love our exciting cover. It certainly paints the picture for the suspenseful mystery inside, from designer bags to body bags. You're an award winning cover artist for The Wild Rose Press publishers. People can see a sample of your enticing work in addition to our Kat Out of the Bag on Covers By Kim. Our author was completely enchanted with your work. What got you started as a book cover artist?

Kimberlee: I was a graphic artist in the US Military and I'm an author. I had just got my book published at The Wild Rose press and saw an add for a cover artist. Since I had experience, I applied and got the job. I love it. It mixed my two worlds.

MJ: Kimberlee you lead an energetic life. You inspired my meditation today - Life is based on the capacity of energy in you, not outside of you. You're artist, author, playwright, teacher, speaker, comedienne, U.S. Army Veteran and that's barely the tip of your intrigue. As an author, do you feel like you have an extra intuition for your art work about what readers are looking for as a visual threshold to a good story?

Kimberlee: I think it helps to be an author and a reader. The more exposure I get to the industry from all sides, I think it helps me know what sells.

Katherine: Kimberlee, thank you for your service in the U.S. Army. I think you're an example of variety as the spice of life with all you do. Do you have a sentimental favorite of your cover works? Have you done any of the covers for your own books?

Kimberlee: Yes and yesOne of my favorite covers of all time was a book called Searching for Sophie. I don't know why, but I just really liked it. I have also been able to do a lot of my covers at The Wild Rose Press. It is great to be able to create art when you are so close to the characters.

MJ: What a cover. It's an invitation to explore an intriguing story. And how wonderful to create your own covers. People can find out more about you and your books on your website kimmendoza.comAs an author, do you feel like you have an extra intuition in your art work for what readers are looking for as a visual threshold to a good story?

Kimberlee: I think it helps to be an author and a reader. The more exposure I get to the industry from all sides, I think it helps me know what sells.

MJ: How is your sense of accomplishment different when you finish writing a book from when you finish creating a cover?

Kimberlee: They are a completely different feeling. I put my entire soul into a book. Covers is a job and someone else's vision, so I do not feel like I am losing a piece of me. I might be proud of the cover, but I try not to be connected to them. For one, an author always has the right to come back and say they "hate it" (and they do), so I try not to get too personal with the creation. When I first started out, it was devastating. So now, I just produce them and cross my fingers.

Katherine: Between the covers of our book Kat Out of the Bag, in the cast of characters we have an exciting, romantic pair. College student Amber who works at the Purse Museum gift shop, and her boyfriend Michael is new to Bayside. They actually end up in dire circumstances when they're entangled in a mystery of their own. They would be part of Generation Z, that you know quite a lot about. Can you tell us a little about your work with Generation Z?

Kimberlee: For my dissertation, I studied Generation Z for three years. They are an amazing group of people. Science shows that when people use technology, it alters the brain. Now imagine using technology while your brain was being developed? That is what has happened to Gen Z. Their brains are rewarded for doing the next thing. It is why they are what we call the "Now" Generation. They aren't waiting until they are 30 to start companies. They are starting them now. They were raised mostly by the driven X Generation, and it shows. Can you tell I love this topic? I could go on forever, but I won't.


MJ: What interesting insights. Do you have any thoughts you'd like to pass along to our readers who are interested in art, or in writing, or both?

Kimberlee: I think if you have an interest in both, you should pursue it. It is like any skill. It takes time and energy, but if you work at it, you can get good. I'm a big component for "just do it" when it comes to talent. I hate seeing talent wasted. Maybe that's why I'm a writing professor.

Katherine: What great advice. Like me, you've lived a life of two states. I've lived in Southern California, and also in Washington state, and both have had an influence on my fashions. You've lived in Southern California also, and in Texas. How have the cultures of your two states influenced your art work and your writing?
Kim
Kimberlee: I've actually lived in four (believe it or not; Arizona, New Jersey also while in the Army). I think what we see influences us to some degree. I am still 99% a Southern CA girl, and it shows in my writing and art, but over time, that could change.


Katherine: I'm a high percentage Southern CA girl too! With the artistic eye that you have, I was just wondering if you have a favorite purse, maybe because you love the design, or a visual picture on it, or sentimental reasons?

Kimberlee: Would you believe I don't carry a purse? If I have to, it's usually a backpack.  I am a wallet kind of girl and it usually has some kind of picture on it that represents me (writing, Wonder Woman, the Army, etc.).

Katherine: Oh that's matching wallet and purse-onality! MJ and I were both thrilled when our author said you'd be creating the cover for our prequel novella. Thank You! Can you share any hints of what you're thinking for the cover of this beach read?

Kimberlee: I haven't received the spec sheet yet. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Katherine: And so the suspense, and the fun, builds!

MJ: "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." That's a quote from  Thomas Merton - a monk, writer, theologian, mystic poet, social activist and scholar. Seems so fitting because art, whether visual, or a story, launches the imagination of the creator, and also the viewer or reader. Kimberlee, you certainly have a talent for launching creative imaginations.

Katherine: Thank you so much for joining us Kimberlee Mendoza. We encourage our readers to visit your website kimmendoza.com, and we're looking forward to our next cover.

Kimberlee: Thank you. I appreciate your time. Congrats on your publication and happy sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment